Lions lose to Bears, 27-17 in wildcard round

WASHINGTON — The Washington Redskins didn’t let the Lions have any momentum heading into Sunday’s wildcard game.

Washington held a 20-17 lead on the Lions when quarterback Matt Stafford threw an interception with 2:14 remaining in the first half, but the Lions scored three touchdowns on three consecutive drives to cut the deficit to one with 6:16 remaining.

The Redskins were playing their second straight wildcard and would face off against the New York Jets in Week 3.

The Lions, who are in the AFC playoff race and had not beaten Washington in six seasons, had a chance to close out the series.

Stafford’s interception and a touchdown pass to receiver Brandon Pettigrew gave them a 28-14 lead with 7:45 remaining.

Stafford threw three interceptions in the game and the Redskins had the ball at their own 1 with 7 seconds remaining in regulation.

Stafford later threw a touchdown to Pettigrow for a 34-28 lead with 3:30 remaining in OT.

The teams combined for five sacks and seven quarterback hits in the final four minutes of regulation.

The Giants were leading 24-17 with 4:58 left in regulation before Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford threw a fourth-down pass to Pettagrew for a 16-yard touchdown.

Stafford and Pettigree combined for 15 first downs on the day, including a 24-yard pass to Calvin Johnson to tie the score at 26 with 4 seconds left.

Stafford was 3-for-5 for 53 yards, including 2-for.

The touchdown pass was the only first-quarter rushing touchdown the Redskins have given up all season.

The second half was dominated by the Lions.

They ran for 177 yards, scoring 21 on 17 carries.

The only time the Redskins converted a third down on the drive was when Pettigrio intercepted a pass by Detroit safety Brandon Jones.

Detroit led 16-0 midway through the third quarter and scored three times in the fourth quarter, when Stafford threw two interceptions.

Stafford had one of the more dramatic comebacks in franchise history, throwing for 300 yards and a score in the third and finishing off a comeback of his own.

Washington led 28-0 at halftime.

The first touchdown came when Stafford ran through the left tackle to score from the 2.

Pettigri intercepted Stafford on the next play to put the Redskins up 34-21.

The next play, Stafford hit Pettigrop with a deep pass and it was 26-21, giving the Lions the ball on the New Jersey sideline with 1:30 left in the second quarter.

Stafford ran off the left sideline for the game-winning touchdown on the final play of regulation, which gave the Redskins a 28 to 14 lead at the half.

Stafford finished 11-of-13 for 159 yards, but Pettigrip missed a 46-yard field goal that would have put the game out of reach.